Friday, July 10, 2009

Quiet Time : to cry aloud


Main Entry: 1la·ment
Pronunciation: \lə-ˈment\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English lementen, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French lamenter, from Latin lamentari, from lamentum, noun, lament
Date: 15th century
intransitive verb
: to mourn aloud : wail
transitive verb
1 : to express sorrow, mourning, or regret for often demonstratively : mourn
2 : to regret strongly
synonyms see deplore

I read Lamentations this morning, and just... wow...

It's a short book with just 5 chapters, so I went ahead and read the whole thing, because I had time... because I woke up early!

My study Bible states that although the author of this book is unknown, it's believed to be Jeremiah. After just finishing Jeremiah, I can certainly see that being so. The anguish he would have felt over the rebellion of Judah and the consequences of their sin (the destruction of Jerusalem) is clearly depicted in these moving poems. It is heartrenching, but includes a taste of hope.

Lamentations 3:19-25 (KJV)

19Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
20My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.
21This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
24The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
25The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.


Last Sunday I went to the Old Testament core seminar at church, and we learned about Micah. The teacher read:

Micah 6:8 (NIV)

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

I thought further on that verse, and it reminded me of Lamentations 3. How God's mercies are new every morning, and that I must accept them humbly.

Lamentations 3:55-58 (KJV)

55I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon.
56Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry.
57Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not.
58O LORD, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life.


God's Faithfulness.

Lamentations 4:5 (KJV)

5They that did feed delicately are desolate in the streets: they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.


Thought this was an interesting verse. Click here to read a Matthew Henry commentary on Lamentation 4:1-12.

No comments: