Thursday, February 12, 2009

words matter

No doubt that guy Blagojevich is everywhere. I saw today where he's said something to the affect of - I'll pull out my crayons and write a book about politics in Illinois. And yes, I know he's innocent until proven guilty. But what I want to talk about are our WORDS.

Like it or not, our words matter. There is a reason for Jesus having said, "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No." (Matthew 5:37 (NIV)). Blagojevich's words may have been taken out of context (he voice may have been dripping with sarcasm, perhaps he was rehearsing for a comedy skit..., I digress), but he still said those words. Those words. Words that earned him an impeachment. Words that embarrassed his state. Words that, although I don't believe he's involved in any way, certainly were not helpful to President Obama in the first days of his historic presidency. Every word that comes out of our mouths... matters.

I don't want to harp on this man, but he's setting himself up as a prime example to anyone who is willing to pay attention. No matter if our words are caught by a FBI wiretap, said in the company of trusted friends, or just whispered in our hearts; they matter.

Luke 6:45 (NIV)

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

No comments: