Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quiet Time : Shelter

Psalm 56 (KJV)

1Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.

2Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.

3What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

4In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

5Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.

6They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.

7Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.

8Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

9When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.

10In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.

11In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

12Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.

13For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

+++++

It was at about verse 9 that I started reading this Psalm differently. So much so that I had to go back and reread it with my different way of thinking in mind. I started seeing these enemies as the "world." Or one might say our culture. How to not let culture influence my life. I read this last week.

Then last Friday, I listened to the previous Sunday's sermon that I missed because I was teaching the little ones. Click here to listen to A Psalm for Wintertime - Psalm 49. Before I listened to this sermon, I read Jonathan's post on the 9 Marks blog about the new book Wordliness. Then, wouldn't you know it, I mentioned to my roommate that I want to read it, and she loaned it to me! :) (I didn't know she had it...) I started reading it Sunday, and it is so good; a must read!

+++++

Psalm 59:16 (KJV)

16But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.

Which sounds like:

Lamentations 3:22-23 (KJV)

22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Praise God that His mercies are new every morning. Because I certainly need them; every day, anew.

+++++

Then on to:

Psalm 61:2-4

2From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my h eart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

4I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

My Ryrie Study Bible said:

Footnote 2-4: The rock that is higher than I. An asylum

that David could not reach in his own strength and that gives protection and security. God is the asylum, pictured by four figures of speech: shelter (refuge), strong tower, tabernacle (tent), and covert (shelter) of your wings (the Lord is the protective shade for His people).

I am grateful to have a shelter in the storm.



No comments: