Thursday, February 26, 2009

Quiet Time : "thy comforts delight my soul"

Psalm 94 (KJV)

8
Understand, ye brutish among the people: and ye fools, when will ye be wise?

9He that planted the ear, shall he not hear? he that formed the eye, shall he not see?

10He that chastiseth the heathen, shall not he correct? he that teacheth man knowledge, shall not he know?

11The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity.

Had to add what Spurgeon said about verse 9:

"He fashioned that marvellous organ, and fixed it in the most convenient place near to the brain, and is he deaf himself? Is he capable of such design and invention, and yet can he not discern what is done in the world which he made? He made you hear, can he not himself hear? Unanswerable question! It overwhelms the sceptic, and covers him with confusion. He that formed the eye, shall he not see? He gives us vision; is it conceivable that he has no sight himself? With skilful hand he fashioned the optic nerve, and the eyeball, and all its curious mechanism, and it surpasses all conception that he can himself be unable to observe the doings of his creatures. If there be a God, he must be a personal intelligent being, and no limit can be set to his knowledge."

and some that he said about verse 11:

"How foolish are those who think that God does not know their actions, when the truth is that their vain thoughts are all perceived by him"

...

17Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.

18When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.

19In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.

Can't help myself; here is some of what Spurgeon said about verse 19:

"When I am tossed to and fro with various reasonings, distractions, questions, and forebodings, I will fly to my true rest, for thy comforts delight my soul."

+++

Psalm 95:8 (KJV)

Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

Some of what Spurgeon said
:

"Today is too good a day to be profaned by the hardening of our hearts against our own mercies."


No comments: